a blog of short and medium length ttrpg thinking posts

Tuesday, May 3, 2022

HULK RATS

Hulk Rats, with the help of Heaven a game by Zev, after the fashions of Orbiters Local 519 and Maze rats, in the year 5782 of the world

Well, it's certainly been long enough since I made that uncharacteristic scifi weapons post, so it was only to be expected (as, indeed, Orbiters Local 519 was itself the sequel to what was meant to be a standalone scifi post) that in the meantime I have written up HULK RATS as its own hack.

what's in it

  • A very cool, very sexy take on Maze Rats saves and attacks, where saves are to roll under and attacks roll over targets' saves.
  • Adventurer templates rebranded as skills.
  • Adrenaline as HP
  • Rules for resource exhaustion and how much you can carry on your spacesuit.
  • Extremely half-assed environmental hazard rules.
  • All the power tools stuff, in somewhat less clunky form.
  • A surprisingly detailed bestiary with eighteen stat blocks for iconic sf/horror enemies that I hope are all absolutely busted in different ways.

why's in it

To be honest, one of the main reasons I pushed through to completion on this project despite losing my steam for it weeks ago was because I wanted to make more posts about the Maze Rats-derived GLOG chassis I developed here. I really like the way this hack uses templates as "skills" and I really like its lineup of RUN, HIDE and TRICK for the saving throws. I will probably post a more traditional fantasy GLOGhack using them at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment